Saturday 6 June 2015

The End of The Road


Sad to say but I have come to the end of the road with Santana. I thought he was my forever horse, but I was wrong and it was not to be. 

To cut a long story short Santana started bolting which knocked my confidence and he clearly knew that he was stronger than me. I tried schooling, lunging, in hand work, using voice commands, lessons, but things went from bad to worse until he bolted in the ménage 15 minutes into a lesson and I went flying through the fence. This was the result:
I was very lucky to only suffer bruising, although it went from my hip all the way to my toes. That was summer 2014 and it was the last time I sat on him. 
I can hardly believe that the previous summer I had done this: 
I so much wanted to get back to that but it wasn't to be. I knew that it was time to call it a day before I got seriously hurt. 

Santana went on Project Horses website and I was completely honest about everything. A lovely young lady came to buy him. She didn't have much money but I could see that she would care for him and love him. I let him go for next to nothing because a wanted a good home for him. 

I know that I was not good for him and I was doing his confidence no favours so I know that I did the right thing letting him go. As you can imagine, I was devastated to lose him. I've not heard how he is getting on.

Since then I have taken on my daughter's horse, Red Sonia (aka Sonny), because she no longer rides. Sonny is a warmblood and not what I would choose but she is an absolute sweetie and does not have a bad bone in her body, she is just a little more lively than I would choose. I have built up my confidence gradually and have got to the stage where I can canter in the ménage - my biggest fear at the moment. 
I'm hoping that we'll get there together, Sonny and I

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jooles Ive just checked out your blog and sorry to hear you have been in the wars! Let us know how you are getting on with Sonny. From us all at Haynet

    ReplyDelete