Wednesday 13 January 2010

Enough Snow

Okay, snow is great ...when it only lasts a few days. Much though it looks lovely and picturesque, I've had just about enough now. The horses are all bored and have nothing to do all day except wait by the gate for the tractor to bring the next lot of hay.


With no all weather surface we can't ride. All the farm tracks are treacherous for the horses and the yard, well, don't even go there!


I did manage to ride a couple of weekends ago and we have decided that Santana's sudden aversion to being ridden is mostly to do with his saddle. Although I have always used this saddle on him and it has been fine, we have now come to the conclusion that a combination of having stopped riding him most days due to longer hours at work and dark evenings and also winter setting in with a vengeance has caused him to drop condition slightly. Enough to make his saddle uncomfortable anyway.


What precipitated this conclusion was that when I rode him when the last lot of snow had nearly gone, we came back from riding round the block and I had to dismount to open the gate (I had already done this to go out of the gate with no problem). I turned his head into a corner of the fence to re-mount and Jas stood beside him on her horse. I went to get back on and was past the point of no return when he took umbrage, spun round and took off at a gallop up the only icy stretch remaining on the farm. After about 50 yards I couldn't maintain my balance and landed front first on the ice and skidded for what seemed like miles!


I'm now using my narrower Pennwood saddle which sits well off his withers and although I've only had a chance to use it once because of the weather, he seemed to be much more comfortable in it.


So as there's no riding, here are some pictures instead ...






3 comments: